Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Godliness With Contentment

Godliness With Contentment


CONTENTMENT


Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 1 Timothy 6:6-7


What is contentment? Contentment means my happiness is not dependent upon circumstances. Most people get caught in “when” thinking – “When I get such and such, then I’ll be happy.” “When I get to a certain level economically. . . When I get a certain job . . . When I build my own house … then I’ll be happy. When I get married. . When I buy my first car. . . then!” God says “No, once you get there, you’ll always want something else. You’ll always want more.” Somebody once asked the billionaire Howard Hughes, “How much does it take to make a man happy?” He said, “Just a little more.”

God says, “I want you to learn contentment.” It’s not about not having goals. It’s saying, “My happiness is dependent upon the Lord not on my circumstances in life.” Paul learned contentment. He says in Philippians 4:12, “I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I’ve learned the secret of contentment in every situation.” Contentment is something you have to learn. It’s not something that comes naturally. Human beings, by nature, are naturally discontent. And so are you.

How do you learn to be content? Stop comparing. God says it’s stupid to compare yourself to others. You compare houses, clothes, cars. We’re constantly comparing and therefore always discontent. And because of discontent God can’t trust you with wealth. You put too much priority on things in your life. Can God trust you with wealth? Have you learned to be content? If you don’t learn contentment, you’ll never find happiness in the Lord.


Prayer: By faith declare that you will not lack any good thing.


Scriptural Reading: 1 Timothy 6:3-10


3 If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which accords with godliness,


4 he is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions,


5 useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.


6 Now godliness with contentment is great gain.


7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.


8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.


9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition.


10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.


NKJV



Godliness With Contentment

No comments:

Post a Comment